Is Erectile Dysfunction in Your 20s Normal? What Experts Say
- Men aged 16-59 who smoke regularly are at high risk of developing erectile disfunction than men who do not smoke (1).
- Men who suffer from obesity are more likely to also suffer from erectile dysfunction (2).
- While testosterone deficiency can negatively impact erectile function, vascular disease and diabetes are far more likely causes of ED (3).
- Chronic Internet pornography use resulted in erectile dysfunction and delayed ejaculation (4).
Contrary to popular belief, erectile dysfunction (ED) is quite common amongst men. Male erectile dysfunction (ED) is not always caused by the obvious causes such as aging, stress, or illness in men in their twenties. There may not be a serious underlying issue that necessitates medical attention. If you're in your twenties and experiencing this symptom, it's likely that a combination of factors is at play. Continue reading for details about erectile dysfunction causes in your 20s and advice on how to alleviate the problem.
Overview: What is erectile dysfunction?
The inability to get or keep an erection that lasts long enough for sexual activity is known medically as erectile dysfunction.
Although older men are disproportionately affected, it is possible to develop in your 20s. However, this should not be confused with "impotence," which is caused by low testosterone levels that have been medically diagnosed. Impotence is a condition characterized by a complete inability to achieve an erection.
The autonomic nervous system is responsible for the erection, which is a tightening of the penis's tissues that makes it receptive to sex. The ability to achieve and maintain an erection is negatively impacted by environmental factors that disrupt this system. Additionally, it’s important to note that ED is not the same thing as a psychological issue. ED is a neurological disorder that manifests as a physical symptom.
Is Erectile Dysfunction in Your 20s Normal?
Unfortunately, yes. Erectile dysfunction is now a common a occurrence for men, even in their 20s.
Signs of Erectile Dysfunction in Your 20s
The signs of erectile dysfunction is the same for men of all ages. Hence, identifying the symptoms of ED is not a difficult task. Here are the signs of ED:
- Having difficulty getting or maintaining an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
- Erections are not as hard as they used to be
Erectile Dysfunction Causes in Your 20s
When it comes to the causes of erectile dysfunction in your 20s, there is no clear answer. The causes of ED depends entirely on the individual's lifestyle, physicality, and physiology. However, for someone in their 20s, the causes of ED usually depend on the individual's lifestyle and physiology. Physical risk factors usually come into play later in life. Anyhow, here are the causes of erectile dysfunction in your 20s:
Lifestyle Factors Causing ED in Your 20s
- Excessive drinking
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excessive pornography consumption
Physiological Factors Causing ED in Your 20s
- Hormonal imbalance
- Suffering from chronic diseases
Other Erectile Dysfunction Causes
- Sleep disorders
- Relationship problems
- Peyronie's disease
- Pelvic injury or surgery
- Cardiovascular disease
- Neurological disease
- Endocrine disorders
- Substance abuse
- Bicycle riding
- Excessive masturbation
How To Treat Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction can be a difficult issue to overcome, especially for someone in their 20s. However, for those who are suffering from erectile dysfunction, there are plenty if treatment options and methods to consider. Here are a few options:
- Lifestyle changes: Making changes to your lifestyle can heavily impact your condition in a good way by improving ED symptoms. These changes include exercising regularly, eating better, quitting smoking and alcohol, and managing stress.
- Oral medications: Some medications may also improve ED but they must first be prescribed by your doctor to avoid your condition from getting worse. These medications include, sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra).
- Penile injection: Another option that will scare many is penile injection. It involves injecting medication straight into the penis to improve blood flow so an erection can be achieved.
- Vacuum devices: Most commonly referred to as penis pumps, this device enables your penis to achieve an erection by using suction to increase blood flow.
- Surgery: Your doctor may recommend surgery for serious issues regarding your ED. This usually occurs when physical issues come into play that require only surgery. For example, a blockage in the blood vessels around the penis are. In this case, penile implant may be an option, which involves inserting rods inside the penis.
How To Avoid Erectile Dysfunction
Here are some quick tips on how to avoid erectile dysfunction in your 20s. While you may be young, that is not an excuse to not take your sexual health seriously to avoid developing erectile dysfunction in the long run. Here's how you can avoid erectile dysfunction in your 20s:
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Manage stress
- Get enough sleep
- Manage chronic diseases
- Communicate with your partner
- Avoid substance abuse
- Avoid excessive porn and masturbation
Low testosterone levels are a common cause of erectile dysfunction in men in their twenties. However, medical or surgical treatment is available, depending on the severity of the condition. The health of your interpersonal connections may also play a role; if this is the case, you need to get help so that you don't just keep making things worse. Drugs, surgery, and lifestyle changes can all help men with low testosterone.
Enjoy reading? Check out this related article: Horny Goat Weed For Women - Your Complete Guide
If you're looking to supplement your diet with a Tongkat Ali supplement, consider checking out Nano Singapore Shop! The Male Max Extreme is a popular option that can help you boost testosterone naturally and experience the associated health benefits.
- Millett C, Wen LM, Rissel C, et al. Smoking and erectile dysfunction: findings from a representative sample of Australian men. Tob Control. 2006;15(2):136-139. doi:10.1136/tc.2005.015545 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2563576/
- Skrypnik D, Bogdański P, Musialik K. Otyłość--istotny czynnik ryzyka zaburzeń potencji u mezczyzn [Obesity--significant risk factor for erectile dysfunction in men]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2014;36(212):137-141. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24720114/
- Erectile Dysfunction by Thushanth Sooriyamoorthy; Stephen W. Leslie. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562253/#
- Park BY, Wilson G, Berger J, et al. Is Internet Pornography Causing Sexual Dysfunctions? A Review with Clinical Reports [published correction appears in Behav Sci (Basel). 2018 Jun 01;8(6):]. Behav Sci (Basel). 2016;6(3):17. Published 2016 Aug 5. doi:10.3390/bs6030017 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5039517/
All the content on this blog, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, are solely to provide information only. Any information/statements on this blog are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should NOT be a substitute for health and medical advice that can be provided by your own physician/medical doctor. We at Nano Singapore Shop, encourage you to consult a doctor before making any health or diet changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition.