Grocery List For Weight Loss | Must Have Nutritious and Low Calorie Items
- Berries can aid in weight loss by lowering inflammation and enhancing blood sugar regulation (2).
- Popcorn can help you lose weight by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (7).
- Eating dark chocolate can help you lose weight by lowering cravings and elevating your mood (16).
Do you want to get healthier overall and lose some weight? By paying close attention to what you eat, you can take one of the most significant steps toward achieving your weight loss objectives. Making a list of healthy, low-calorie foods to buy in advance is a great way to get started on your path to a healthier lifestyle. However, with so many products available, it can be challenging to decide which ones to put in your shopping cart. Thus, here's a grocery list for weight loss that includes highly researched food items that are both nutritious and low in calories. We have everything you need, from fresh fruits and vegetables to lean meats and wholesome snacks. So gather a pen and paper, and let's begin making a shopping list that will have you feeling great in no time!
Importance of a Grocery List for Weight Loss
A great tool for weight loss is making a grocery list. It not only keeps you organized and on track, but it also makes sure that you are choosing healthy options each day of the week. When you have a list, you're less likely to buy things on whim or grab bad snacks while you're out and about. Additionally, it can save you money and time by avoiding pointless trips to the store.
Making a grocery list for weight loss also makes it possible for you to schedule your meals in advance. You can ensure that you're getting all the nutrients you need without overeating by selecting foods that are nutrient-dense and low in calories. You may experience weight loss and increased energy as a result.
Must-Have Items for a Weight Loss Grocery List
Focusing on nutrient-dense foods with few calories is crucial when making a grocery list for weight loss. The following necessities should be in your shopping cart:
Fruits and vegetables to include in your grocery list
The vitamins, minerals, and fiber found in fruits and vegetables are crucial for a balanced diet. They are a great option for weight loss because they are low in calories. The following are some of the top produce items to put on your shopping list:
1. Leafy Greens
Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and collard greens are rich in calcium, fiber, and vitamins A, C, and K. They are also low in calories, with only 7 calories in one cup of spinach. According to studies, eating leafy greens can aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (1).
In addition to being delicious, berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are also incredibly healthy. Due to their high fiber and antioxidant content, they can aid in lowering inflammation and enhancing cardiovascular health. One cup of strawberries only has 49 calories, so they are also low in calories. Berries can aid in weight loss by lowering inflammation and enhancing blood sugar regulation (2).
3. Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts, are rich in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins and minerals. Additionally, they have few calories—a cup of broccoli has just 55 calories. By lowering inflammation and enhancing digestion, cruciferous vegetables can aid in weight loss (3).
Healthy protein options for weight loss
An essential nutrient, protein is crucial for the body's tissue growth and repair. Additionally, since it can lessen hunger and increase feelings of fullness, it is crucial for weight loss. Here are some good sources of protein to put on your shopping list:
1. Lean Meats
Excellent sources of protein and low in calories are lean meats like fish, chicken, and turkey. They are a crucial component of a healthy diet because they are also loaded with vitamins and minerals. Lean meats can aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness, according to studies (4).
2. Plant-Based Proteins
Excellent protein sources that are low in calories include plant-based proteins like tofu, beans, and lentils. Additionally, they contain a lot of fiber, which can aid in better digestion and decrease hunger. By lowering inflammation and enhancing blood sugar control, including plant-based proteins in your diet can aid in weight loss (5).
Eggs are a superior protein source that have few calories. Additionally, they contain a lot of vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin D, which is vital for strong bones. Science has demonstrated that eating eggs can aid in weight loss by lowering hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (6).
Whole grains and complex carbohydrates for a balanced diet
A balanced diet should include whole grains and complex carbohydrates because they give the body the nutrients and energy it needs. Include the following healthy options on your shopping list:
1. Whole Grain Bread
A great source of complex carbohydrates and fiber, whole grain bread can help control blood sugar levels and curb hunger. By lowering inflammation and enhancing digestion, including whole grains in your diet can aid in weight loss (7).
2. Brown Rice
Complex carbohydrates found in brown rice are good for you and can help control your blood sugar levels and curb your appetite. It is a crucial component of a balanced diet because it is also high in vitamins and minerals. According to studies, eating brown rice can help you lose weight by lowering inflammation and enhancing blood sugar regulation (8).
A grain that is high in fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates is quinoa. Additionally, it is gluten-free, making it a fantastic choice for people who are sensitive to gluten. According to research, quinoa can help lower blood sugar, triglyceride, and cholesterol levels (9).
Low-fat dairy products for weight loss
Although dairy products can be a good source of calories and saturated fat, they are also a good source of calcium and other vital nutrients. The following low-fat dairy products are suggestions for your shopping list:
1. Low-Fat Milk
While being a great source of other essential nutrients like calcium, low-fat milk is also low in calories and saturated fat. Low-fat dairy products have been shown in studies to aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (10).
2. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt has a good amount of calcium and protein and is low in calories and saturated fat. Additionally, it contains a lot of probiotics, which can strengthen the immune system and aid in better digestion. Greek yogurt can facilitate weight loss by decreasing hunger and enhancing feelings of fullness (11).
3. Cottage Cheese
Low in calories and saturated fat, cottage cheese is a beneficial source of calcium and protein. Additionally, it contains a lot of probiotics, which can strengthen the immune system and aid in better digestion. According to studies, eating cottage cheese can aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (12).
Healthy fats to incorporate into your grocery list
A balanced diet must include healthy fats because they give the body the nutrients and energy it needs. Here are some good fats to put on your shopping list:
A good source of monounsaturated fats that can lower inflammation and enhance heart health is avocado. Additionally, it contains a lot of fiber, which can help with digestion and satiety. According to studies, eating avocados can aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (13).
2. Nuts and Seeds
Healthy sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats that can help lower inflammation and enhance heart health include nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, and chia seeds. They are a great choice for weight loss because they are also high in protein and fiber. According to studies, eating nuts and seeds can aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (14).
3. Olive Oil
A good source of monounsaturated fats that can lower inflammation and enhance heart health is olive oil. Additionally, it is abundant in antioxidants, which can help shield the body from disease. Olive oil has been shown in studies to aid in weight loss by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (15).
Snacks and treats that won't derail your weight loss goals
As long as they are eaten in moderation and are prepared with wholesome ingredients, snacks and treats can be a part of a healthy diet. Here are some nutritious treats and snacks to put on your shopping list:
1. Dark Chocolate
Antioxidant-rich dark chocolate is a tasty treat that can improve heart health and lower inflammation. It is a great choice for people trying to lose weight because it is low in sugar as well. According to studies, eating dark chocolate can help you lose weight by lowering cravings and elevating your mood (16).
2. Fresh Fruit
A healthy snack that is low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with antioxidants is fresh fruit like apples, bananas, and oranges. They taste great and can help you satisfy a sweet tooth without jeopardizing your attempts to lose weight. Fresh fruit can help you lose weight by reducing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness, according to studies (17).
Popcorn is a low-calorie, high-fiber snack that is good for you. It is a great choice for those trying to lose weight because it is a good source of whole grains. According to studies, eating popcorn can help you lose weight by decreasing hunger and boosting feelings of fullness (18).
Tips for grocery shopping for weight loss
The following advice will assist you in choosing healthy foods when grocery shopping in order to lose weight:
1. Make a List
Before you go grocery shopping, make a list of healthy foods to buy to stay on track and prevent making unhealthy impulse purchases.
2. Shop the Perimeter
The fresh produce, lean meats, and dairy products are all located around the outside of the grocery store. Spend as much time as possible here and stay away from the processed and packaged foods in the center aisles.
3. Read Labels
You can make educated decisions about the products you purchase by reading the food labels. Look for foods that are high in protein and fiber and low in calories, saturated fat, and sugar.
Making a shopping list of wholesome, low-calorie foods is a great way to get started on your path to a healthier way of life. You can build a balanced diet that will assist you in losing weight by including fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein options, whole grains and complex carbohydrates, low-fat dairy products, healthy fats, and snacks and treats that won't interfere with your weight loss efforts. You can choose healthy foods to support your weight loss efforts by using these shopper's advice.
Enjoy reading: Check out this related article: Weight Loss & Loose Skin: How To Tighten Skin After Weight Loss
Having trouble with stubborn fat? Can't seem to lose weight even with strict dieting? Try taking the popular "Lean Body Formula" by Nano Singapore Shop! Many of our customers have seen drastic improvements in their weight loss, and you can too. Begin your weight loss journey with Nano Singapore today!
- Rolls BJ, Ello-Martin JA, Tohill BC. What can intervention studies tell us about the relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and weight management? Nutr Rev. 2004;62(1):1-17. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2004.tb00001.x https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14995052/
- Stull AJ, Cash KC, Johnson WD, Champagne CM, Cefalu WT. Bioactives in blueberries improve insulin sensitivity in obese, insulin-resistant men and women. J Nutr. 2010;140(10):1764-8. doi:10.3945/jn.110.125336 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20724487/
- Bazzano LA, Li TY, Joshipura KJ, Hu FB. Intake of fruit, vegetables, and fruit juices and risk of diabetes in women. Diabetes Care. 2008;31(7):1311-7. doi:10.2337/dc08-0080 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18390796/
- Sayer, R. D., Peters, J. C., Pan, Z., Wyatt, H. R., & Hill, J. O. (2018). Hunger, Food Cravings, and Diet Satisfaction are Related to Changes in Body Weight During a 6-Month Behavioral Weight Loss Intervention: The Beef WISE Study. Nutrients, 10(6), 700. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10060700 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29857497/
- McMacken, M., & Shah, S. (2017). A plant-based diet for the prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetes. Journal of geriatric cardiology : JGC, 14(5), 342–354. https://doi.org/10.11909/j.issn.1671-5411.2017.05.009 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28630614/
- Why Eggs Are a Killer Weight Loss Food. (2021, April 23). Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eggs-weight-loss-food#:~:text=Eggs%20are%20incredibly%20nutrient%2Ddense
- Harvard School of Public Health. (2018, September 25). Whole Grains. The Nutrition Source. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/whole-grains/
- Kubala, J. (2018, May 23). Is Brown Rice Good for You? Healthline; Healthline Media. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-brown-rice-good-for-you#weight-loss
- An, T., Liu, J. X., Yang, X. Y., Lv, B. H., Wu, Y. X., & Jiang, G. J. (2021). Supplementation of quinoa regulates glycolipid metabolism and endoplasmic reticulum stress in the high-fat diet-induced female obese mice. Nutrition & metabolism, 18(1), 95. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12986-021-00622-8 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34702298/
- Bendtsen, L. Q., Lorenzen, J. K., Bendsen, N. T., Rasmussen, C., & Astrup, A. (2013). Effect of dairy proteins on appetite, energy expenditure, body weight, and composition: a review of the evidence from controlled clinical trials. Advances in nutrition (Bethesda, Md.), 4(4), 418–438. https://doi.org/10.3945/an.113.003723 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941822/
- 8 health benefits of Greek yogurt. (2018, September 25). Www.medicalnewstoday.com. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323169#:~:text=Greek%20yogurt%20is%20protein%2Drich
- Semeco, A. (2019, October 25). Why Cottage Cheese Is Super Healthy and Nutritious. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cottage-cheese-is-super-healthy
- Jones, T. (2016, August 14). Are Avocados Useful for Weight Loss, or Fattening? Healthline; Healthline Media. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/avocados-and-weight
- Tey, S. L., Brown, R., Gray, A., Chisholm, A., & Delahunty, C. (2011). Nuts improve diet quality compared to other energy-dense snacks while maintaining body weight. Journal of nutrition and metabolism, 2011, 357350. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/357350 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3154486/
- Olive Oil for Weight Loss: Is It Beneficial? (2020, June 29). Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/olive-oil-for-weight-loss#compounds
- Dark Chocolate and Weight Loss: Is It Beneficial? (2020, August 5). Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dark-chocolate-weight-loss
- Flood-Obbagy, J. E., & Rolls, B. J. (2009). The effect of fruit in different forms on energy intake and satiety at a meal. Appetite, 52(2), 416–422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2008.12.001 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664987/
- Nguyen, V., Cooper, L., Lowndes, J., Melanson, K., Angelopoulos, T. J., Rippe, J. M., & Reimers, K. (2012). Popcorn is more satiating than potato chips in normal-weight adults. Nutrition journal, 11, 71. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-11-71 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3502142/