8 Mind-Blowing Benefits of Beetroot Powder for Your Health
- Beetroot juice or supplements containing beetroot powder have been shown in studies to significantly lower blood pressure (1).
- Beetroot juice was found to enhance healthy adults' running abilities (3).
- Beetroot juice and its high vitamin C content may help to prevent acne and skin pigmentation (8).
If you're looking for a natural way to enhance your general health, you might want to think about consuming beetroot powder. This deeply colored root vegetable is teeming with vital vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can have a variety of positive effects on health. Beetroot powder is a multipurpose supplement that can improve a variety of aspects of your health, including your immune system, blood pressure, inflammation, and energy levels. In this article, we'll examine in greater detail the top 8 astounding health benefits of beetroot powder that you might not be aware of. So whether you're a health-conscious person, a fitness enthusiast, or you're just interested in the advantages of this superfood, keep reading to learn about the amazing potential of beetroot powder for your body and mind.
What is Beetroot Powder?
Beetroot is simply dried and ground into powder form. It is a concentrated source of the vitamins A, C, and K, folate, potassium, calcium, iron, and fiber that can be found in fresh beetroot. Nitric oxide can be produced by the body from nitrates, which are also abundant in beetroot powder. A molecule called nitric oxide aids in relaxing and expanding blood vessels, boosting blood flow and oxygen delivery to muscles and other tissues. Because of this, beetroot powder has gained popularity among athletes and fitness fans as a natural means of enhancing endurance and performance.
Beetroot powder is simple to use and versatile in the foods and beverages it can be added to. It can be used to complement both savory and sweet dishes thanks to its slightly sweet and earthy flavor. It can be added to salads and roasted vegetables as well as yogurt, oatmeal, sauces, dips, and smoothies. Beetroot powder can give baked goods and confectionery a vibrant red hue, so some people even use it as a natural food coloring.
Health Benefits of Beetroot Powder
A root vegetable with a rich red color and sweet flavor is the beet. It is a superfood because it is brimming with vital vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. By drying and grinding the root, beetroot can be concentrated into beetroot powder. Due to its numerous health advantages, it is becoming more and more well-liked as a dietary supplement. We'll look at eight astounding benefits of beetroot powder for your health in this article.
1. Beetroot Powder Helps Lower Blood Pressure
A common health issue, high blood pressure can cause serious side effects like heart disease and stroke. It has been demonstrated that beetroot powder can lower hypertension sufferers' blood pressure. This is due to the fact that beetroot contains nitrates, which the body transforms into nitric oxide. Nitric oxide aids in blood vessel relaxation and dilation, which improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure. Beetroot juice or supplements containing beetroot powder have been shown in studies to significantly lower blood pressure (1).
2. Beets Can Improve Athletic Performance
The ability of beetroot powder to enhance athletic performance has made it a popular supplement among athletes and fitness enthusiasts. This is because beetroot contains nitrates, which can enhance the delivery of oxygen to muscles and lessen fatigue. According to a study, cyclists who drank beet juice prior to a race were able to ride for longer periods of time and felt less exertion than those who did not (2). In a different investigation, beetroot juice was found to enhance healthy adults' running abilities (3).
3. Beetroot Powder Enhances Brain Function
You can benefit from beetroot powder on both a physical and mental level. Its high nitrate and antioxidant content can improve brain function. Beetroot contains nitrates, which can improve memory and cognitive function by increasing blood flow to the brain. According to a study, older adults who drank beetroot juice had better cognitive function. (4) Oxidative stress, which can cause cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases, can be prevented by antioxidants in beetroot.
4. Beetroot Powder Can Boost Immunity
The use of beetroot powder is a fantastic immune system booster. It includes antioxidants that can help defend against infections and diseases as well as vitamin C, which is necessary for immune system health. According to a study, consuming beet juice causes the body to produce more immune cells (5). Additionally, betalains, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may help lower the risk of chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease, are present in beetroot powder (6).
5. Beetroot Powder is Good for Detoxification
Excellent sources of fiber include beetroot powder, which can support healthy digestion and detoxification. Like a sponge, fiber draws toxins and waste products from the body and absorbs them in the digestive tract. Additionally, betaine, which supports liver health and detoxification, is present in beetroot powder. Beetroot juice enhanced liver function in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, according to a study (7).
6. Beetroot Powder Can Help Improve Digestion
The fiber and other nutrients found in beetroot powder can help with better digestion. Constipation can be avoided by regulating bowel movements with fiber. Additionally, it may encourage the development of advantageous bacteria in the gut, which may enhance digestive health. By boosting the production of stomach acid and supporting the liver, betaine found in beetroot can also aid in bettering digestion.
7. Beetroot Powder Can Help You Lose Weight
Beetroot powder is an excellent addition to your diet if you're trying to lose weight. Its low calorie count and high fiber content can make you feel satiated and full. Additionally, fiber assists in controlling blood sugar levels, which can reduce cravings and binge eating. Beets are a fantastic addition to your diet if you want to feel satisfied and full while trying to lose weight.
8. Beetroot Powder Can Improve Skin Health
Vitamin C-rich antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds found in beetroot powder can help skin health. Antioxidants can shield the skin from oxidative stress, which accelerates the aging process and damages the skin. Beetroot's betalains can also aid in reducing skin inflammation and redness. Additionally, beetroot juice and its high vitamin C content may help to prevent acne and skin pigmentation (8).
How Much Beetroot Powder Per Day Should You Take
The amount of beetroot powder that is advised for daily consumption varies according to an individual's age, gender, and state of health. Adults can generally eat up to two medium-sized beetroots' worth—or about two tablespoons—of beetroot powder per day without experiencing any negative effects. It's crucial to remember that beetroot powder contains a lot of oxalates, which are substances that can help some people develop kidney stones. Therefore, it is best to speak with a healthcare provider before taking beetroot powder if you have a history of kidney stones or any other kidney-related disorders.
Additionally, make sure the beetroot powder you choose is of the highest caliber and free of contaminants and additives. Choose a product that has undergone purity and potency testing at a third-party lab, is organic, and is not genetically modified. Online or at your neighborhood health food store, you can purchase beetroot powder.
How to Include Beetroots to Your Diet
Beetroot powder can be used in a variety of ways to improve your diet. Here are a few concepts:
- Scoop some beetroot powder into your morning juice or smoothie.
- For a wholesome breakfast, combine beetroot powder with yogurt, oatmeal, or chia pudding.
- For natural food coloring in baked goods and confections, use beetroot powder.
- For a flavorful snack, sprinkle beetroot powder over salads, roasted vegetables, or popcorn.
- Blend beetroot powder, warm milk, and honey to create a beetroot latte.
- For a flavorful dip, combine beetroot powder with hummus, tahini, or guacamole.
To prevent any digestive discomfort, always start with a small amount of beetroot powder and gradually increase the dosage. Additionally, use caution when handling beetroot powder as it may stain your clothing and countertops.
A versatile dietary supplement, beetroot powder can offer a number of health advantages. Beetroot powder is a superfood that can do wonders for your health, from lowering blood pressure and boosting athletic performance to enhancing brain function and boosting immunity. Additionally beneficial are weight loss, digestion, detoxification, and skin health. As a result, think about including beetroot powder and beetroot juice in your diet if you're looking for a natural way to enhance your general health.
- Coles, L. T., & Clifton, P. M. (2012). Effect of beetroot juice on lowering blood pressure in free-living, disease-free adults: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition Journal, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-11-106 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3545899/
- Domínguez, R., Cuenca, E., Maté-Muñoz, J., García-Fernández, P., Serra-Paya, N., Estevan, M., Herreros, P., & Garnacho-Castaño, M. (2017). Effects of Beetroot Juice Supplementation on Cardiorespiratory Endurance in Athletes. A Systematic Review. Nutrients, 9(1), 43. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9010043 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5295087/
- Balsalobre-Fernández, C., Romero-Moraleda, B., Cupeiro, R., Peinado, A. B., Butragueño, J., & Benito, P. J. (2018). The effects of beetroot juice supplementation on exercise economy, rating of perceived exertion and running mechanics in elite distance runners: A double-blinded, randomized study. PloS One, 13(7), e0200517. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0200517 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6040767/
- Clifford, T., Howatson, G., West, D., & Stevenson, E. (2015). The Potential Benefits of Red Beetroot Supplementation in Health and Disease. Nutrients, 7(4), 2801–2822. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu7042801 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4425174/
- Raubenheimer, K., Hickey, D., Leveritt, M., Fassett, R., Ortiz de Zevallos Munoz, J., Allen, J., Briskey, D., Parker, T., Kerr, G., Peake, J., Pecheniuk, N., & Neubauer, O. (2017). Acute Effects of Nitrate-Rich Beetroot Juice on Blood Pressure, Hemostasis and Vascular Inflammation Markers in Healthy Older Adults: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study. Nutrients, 9(11), 1270. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9111270 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5707742/
- Chen, L., Zhu, Y., Hu, Z., Wu, S., & Jin, C. (2021). Beetroot as a functional food with huge health benefits: Antioxidant, antitumor, physical function, and chronic metabolomics activity. Food Science & Nutrition, 9(11), 6406–6420. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.2577 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8565237/
- Al-Harbi, L. N., Alshammari, G. M., Al-Dossari, A. M., Subash-Babu, P., Binobead, M. A., Alhussain, M. H., AlSedairy, S. A., Al-Nouri, D. M., & Shamlan, G. (2021). Beta vulgaris L. (Beetroot) Methanolic Extract Prevents Hepatic Steatosis and Liver Damage in T2DM Rats by Hypoglycemic, Insulin-Sensitizing, Antioxidant Effects, and Upregulation of PPARα. Biology, 10(12), 1306. https://doi.org/10.3390/biology10121306 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8698622/
- Wang, K., Jiang, H., Li, W., Qiang, M., Dong, T., & Li, H. (2018). Role of Vitamin C in Skin Diseases. Frontiers in Physiology, 9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.00819 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6040229/
All the content on this blog, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, are solely to provide information only. Any information/statements on this blog are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and should NOT be a substitute for health and medical advice that can be provided by your own physician/medical doctor. We at Nano Singapore Shop, encourage you to consult a doctor before making any health or diet changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition.